Castle Rock Historical Society and Museum
420 Elbert St, Castle Rock, CO 80104
The Castle Rock Historical Society was formed in 1991 by a group of concerned citizens. The group wanted to highlight the wonderful history of Castle Rock and work to preserve the historic buildings which form the heart of downtown Castle Rock. The society organized activities such as house tours in the historic Craig and Gould neighborhood, bus tours and significant speakers. After a degree of paperwork the society obtained its non-profit ==501(c)(3)== status with the IRS.
In 1996 the opportunity to fulfill a dream became a reality. The society was able to purchase the old Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot and create a museum for Castle Rock and the neighboring area.
The Castle Rock Museum is housed in a structure which by any account is its prime artifact. The Denver & Rio Grande Railroad had just been built between Denver and Old Colorado City (Colorado Springs) in 1871. It was the first narrow gauge line in the United States and its builder, General William Jackson Palmer, had selected several communities along its route as deserving of rail sidings or depots. Castle Rock became one of them in 1874 when it was designated as county seat of the newly re-aligned Douglas County.
By 1875 a trim small depot was erected on third street in the bustling new village of Castle Rock. It was constructed of Rhyolite building stone native to the area around Castle Rock and designed in the style of the period with wide eaves supported by drop-pendant brackets. The stone work was finely detailed on corners or building edges or around sills and lintels.